Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thinking...the acquisition of spiritual guidance

It's that time of year again. The General Conference edition of The Ensign has reached my mailbox, and so my effort to read, in order, the text of one address each day has begun. This is a semi-annual "effort" that I enjoy immensely. But this time I haven't gotten very far because I am stuck on Elder Scott. I keep going back to reread what he said.

Here are a few of the gems that keep drawing me back to pondering his words:

Throughout the ages, many have obtained guidance helpful to resolve challenges in their lives by following the example of respected individuals who resolved similar problems. Today, world conditions change so rapidly that such a course of action is often not available to us.

Personally, I rejoice in that reality because it creates a condition where we, of necessity, are more dependent upon the Spirit to guide us through the vicissitudes of life. Therefore, we are led to seek personal inspiration in life’s important decisions.

[I find this somewhat frightening, but even more so I think it is liberating and empowering. I can trust in myself and the Lord. This reminds me a bit of what it is like being David's mom. No one has had a kid quite like him before, trust me--especially those who write parenting books--and I have learned to rely first, and sometimes only, on the Spirit and my God-given instincts to guide me. Additionally, Elder Scott seems to describe exactly what it has been like negotiating our life in the military. Never before has life in the Air Force been like it is right now--with an all-volunteer force fighting on multiple fronts for years on end. Even Greg's mentors in the Air Force are quick to acknowledge how different things were when they were captains. Greg and I have learned that we are dependent on the Lord in order to make wise choices, and we must seek to "hear" what the Spirit is telling us to do.]

.....

I am convinced that there is no simple formula or technique that would immediately allow you to master the ability to be guided by the voice of the Spirit. Our Father expects you to learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and His Holy Son, Jesus Christ.

[I guess this means if I see a book titled "Three Simple Steps to Immediately Being Guided By the Spirit" I probably shouldn't waste my money on it. Oh how we are a society that loves simple solve-it-all programs and easy techniques. I guess there are just some things that come only through practice and experience and faith.]

.....

Were you to receive inspired guidance just for the asking, you would become weak and ever more dependent on Them. They know that essential personal growth will come as you struggle to learn how to be led by the Spirit.

[So that's why God didn't text me in all caps when I wanted to know what I should do. I have to admit...I have grown a lot as I have struggled to choose the right paths in life. And it's true that I would be even wimpier without having had those experiences.]

.....

The inspiring influence of the Holy Spirit can be overcome or masked by strong emotions, such as anger, hate, passion, fear, or pride. When such influences are present, it is like trying to savor the delicate flavor of a grape while eating a jalapeƱo pepper. Both flavors are present, but one completely overpowers the other. In like manner, strong emotions overcome the delicate promptings of the Holy Spirit.

[Hooray for Elder Scott--a new object lesson for seminary teachers across the world to use! And maybe those peppers will wake up their students? It is a good point though. A very, very good point. I have some more thoughts on this point, but I am keeping them in my heart.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.