Yesterday we ventured out in the rain and drove to Fort Worth. (Blah. Who wants to go out in the RAIN on a MONDAY MORNING? But I knew being trapped inside all day would make my mood even worse.) Our destination was the Museum of Science and History. And I am so glad we went!
I like my kids.
We had a great time, just the three of us. They followed my directions and stayed close. I was impressed with their maturity and good behavior. The exhibits were fun: David and Mary were curious, attentive, and interested.
Have I mentioned I like my kids?
Their favorite part was upstairs in the Cattle Raisers Museum. They were able to ride a horse and use the reins to herd cattle into a corral. They're both naturals! (They SMOKED my top score--and I was really trying!)
Another highlight was a ride on the trolley in the Fort Worth History Gallery. It was a wonderful, classy little exhibit. (I wish I'd taken a picture.) Mary and David even humored me by looking at the displays of turn-of-the-century fashion.
I really like my kids.

I stayed to monitor Mary in the crowded grocery store while David ran off to look at bugs and build train tracks.
We spent some quality time in the Children's Museum, which was packed with field-tripping kindergartners. Like last time, Mary was OBSESSED with grocery shopping.
After WAY TOO LONG, I realized I'd better check in with David. I ran over to the trains to see if he was okay. Abruptly, a mom stopped me, and pointing to David, asked, "Is that your son?!" I responded in the affirmative, and I immediately began apologizing for whatever he had done. She stopped me: "No, no! I was looking for his mom to tell her that he is being so kind! There are not enough trains, and he is always willing to give his up to another child. He has been so patient in sharing with all the other children. I wanted to find you and tell you thank you for having such a good boy."
!!!!!!!! (Those are exclamation points of happiness and glee and pride and a soaring soul.)
To top it off, Mary even managed to do the seemingly impossible: SHARE a shopping cart. (That beats a Double McTwist 1260 any day.)
I like my kids. (Other people do too!)
No visit to a science museum is complete without some dinosaurs. Mary and I spent a long time putting a difficult dinosaur fossil puzzle together (Mary is a puzzle champ), while David completed the same task on a computer.
Last, we spent some time in the labs building and drawing and cutting and creating. David worked hard building a train bridge, and I think it's wonderful. (Future engineer? It's in the blood!)
At this point, my kids got the glazed-over look in their eyes. (I knew it was time to leave while I still liked them!)
We grabbed some lunch, with only one meltdown in the process (Mary's), and then enjoyed a perfectly uneventful drive home.
And for the record: I really, really like my kids!
It was a lovely morning. Who knew a rainy Monday morning could be lovely? My kids are amazing like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.